Lemon Vanilla Biscotti
A deliciously easy Italian cookie recipe made gluten-free and vegan! These Lemon Vanilla Biscotti are bursting with lemon flavor and dipped in a coconut-maple glaze.
Recipe By: Gina Fontana of Healthy Little Vittles
Featured Products: Nonstick Bakeware 10-Piece Bakeware Set
- 4 flax eggs
- 9 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup vegan/plant butter, softened
- Zest from 1 medium lemon
- ⅔ cup coconut sugar
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1 cup gluten-free 1:1 baking flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch salt
Melted Coconut Butter Glaze (for dipping)
- ½ coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ - 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the flaxseed meal and lemon juice in a small bowl and set it aside for about 5 minutes to gel up.
- Using an electric beater, beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl until smooth and creamy and then add in the flax eggs and lemon zest.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oat flour, gluten-free flour, baking powder and pinch of salt and then stir in the butter mixture, you may also use your hands.
- Turn the dough out onto the Calphalon Nonstick 14x17 in. cookie sheet and form the dough into a log measuring approximately 3-inches wide, 1 ½-inches thick, and 10-inches long. Bake for 25 minutes, until firm. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for about 30 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, carefully slice the log diagonally into ¾-inch thick slices. If it’s too crumbly, allow it to cool for longer. Place the cut sides down on the same baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for an additional 10-12 minutes and then set the oven to broil and broil the biscotti for 5-7 minutes on each side, watching them very carefully so they don’t burn. Store leftover biscotti on your counter uncovered for 3-4 days.
- If you'd like to dip the ends in melted coconut butter, melt the coconut butter, maple syrup, vanilla and coconut oil in a bowl until it resembles melted chocolate. If it's not runny enough, add more coconut oil. Dip the ends in and set the biscotti back onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar and turmeric if desired.