Chocolate Halva Tahini Wreath Bread
Recipe by: Vy Tran of Beyond Sweet and Savory
Product Featured: Premier Countertop Safe Bakeware 6-Piece Set
With layers of chocolate, halva, and tahini running all the way through it, this buttery wreath bread is the ultimate tear-and-share centerpiece.
- 1 package instant yeast
- 4 tablespoons caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk, warmed
- 2 large egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3 cups (450g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 ounces chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces halva and extra for serving
- ½ cup tahini
- Pour milk in a small bowl and warm it in the microwave until lukewarm. Make sure the max temperature is 105-110 degrees. Add 1 tbsp sugar and give it a quick stir before adding the yeast. Let mixture sit for 8 to 10 minutes, until foamy.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine flour, remaining sugar, salt, butter, water, and egg yolks and stir until combined.
- Add in the yeast mixture until the dough comes together in a soft mass, about 5 minutes. If the dough sticks to the side of the bowl, add a tablespoon of flour at a time until it comes together, beating very well in between additions. Continue beating until the dough is smooth and stretchy, another 5 minutes.
- Butter a clean bowl, form the dough into a ball and roll it around in the bowl so all sides are buttered. Cover the bowl with a clean towel and let it rise in a warm, draft-free place until it puffs and rises, about 2 hours. Gently press the dough down with your hands, re-cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- While the dough is proving, prepare the filling. In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, combine butter, chocolate, halva, and tahini and beat until well combined, about 3 minutes. Transfer the mixture to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. On a floured surface, roll one piece into a 10×22-inch rectangle. Spread filling on dough, leaving a 3/4 inch border.
- Roll up tightly from one of the longer sides, so that you end up with a 22-inch log. If the dough has softened too much for you to handle it, place on a tray and chill in the freezer for 15 minutes to firm up.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the roll into half lengthways. Turn the halves so the cut sides face out.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the log in half along its length to expose the layers. Place the halves with the cut sides facing upwards. Lift one halved log over the other so that they form a cross at their midpoints, with the filling layers still pointing upwards. Continue to twist the strands over each other until the dough looks like a braid.
- To form a wreath, twist the two lengths together. Form the twist length into a ring, pressing the two ends together to join.
- Transfer the wreath carefully onto a baking tray. Place the tray in the middle rack in the oven.
- Bake the wreath bread at 350°F for 32-35 minutes or until golden and hollow sounding when tapped.
- Let the wreath bread cool for 15 minutes before serve. Sprinkle pieces of halva over the bread if desired (optional).
Our chocolate halva tahini wreath bread recipe has rich, tender, and slightly sweet crumbs layered with dark chocolate and nutty notes of tahini. A well-loved yeasted bread recipe, chocolate halva tahini chocolate wreath bread is a seasonal favorite. Discover a bread recipe with Middle Eastern flavors including layers of chocolate, halva, and tahini running all the way through it. The filling for the wreath bread has only 4 ingredients--butter, chocolate, halva, and tahini. Halva, helva or halvah, is a Middle Eastern dessert made of sesame seed paste. Both the chocolate halva and tahini lend a nuttiness to the wreath bread. After your bread is done baking, enjoy! This butter bread is the ultimate tear and share centerpiece for family and friends. If you enjoy our chocolate halva wreath bread, our cardamom raspberry star bread is another deliciously aromatic pull-apart bread made of buttery-yeast dough.
Similar Recipe: Caradamom Raspberry Star Bread