Orecchiette Carbonara with Spring Vegetables
Small flat pasta tossed in an egg and cheese carbonara sauce with fresh asparagus and peas.
By: Monique Polanco of Peaches 2 Peaches
Featured Products: Premier™ Hard-Anodized Nonstick 11-Piece Set
- 12 oz Orecchiette pasta
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 4 oz pancetta, cubed
- 1/2 lb Asparagus
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup pea pods
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and cheese then set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic. Cook until it begins to turn brown then take it out of the pan.
- Add the pancetta. Sauté for just a few minutes. Do not let it overcook. Remove from the heat.
- Bring a small pot with an inch or two of water to boil. Cut off the tops of the asparagus and add them to the pot. Blanch the asparagus for about 5 minutes. Remove from the water. Set aside. In the same water Blanche the pea pods as well. Set aside.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
- To the pan with the pancetta add the pasta and the egg mixture. Toss to coat and to gently cook the eggs with the heat of the pasta. Turn on the flame for 2 minutes to heat through.
- Once combined, add in a small amount of the reserved hot pasta water if needed to make sure the pasta isn’t too dry. Add the asparagus and peas and stir. Add the pea pods. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and add additional cheese if desired.
Lunch And Dinner