Mixed Berry Shortcakes with Mascarpone Cream
A buttery, flaky shortcake with raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries, topped with whipped mascarpone cream.
By: Britney Chamberlain of Britney Breaks Bread
Product Featured: Nonstick Bakeware 10-Piece Bakeware Set
- 4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 2 sticks Unsalted Butter, cold
- 2 tbsps Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- 1 ¼ cup Buttermilk
- 2 tbsps Heavy Cream
- Demerara Sugar, for Sprinkling
- 8 oz Mascarpone, cold
- 1 ¼ cups Heavy Cream
- ¾ cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Raspberries
- 2 cups Strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup Blueberries
- ½ cup Blackberries
- 1 lemon
- ½ cup Sugar
- Mint leaves, for garnish (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine raspberries, sliced strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries. Pour sugar into bowl and squeeze juice from one lemon. Toss everything together and allow this to sit in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees °F.
- Add Flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg to a food processor and blend until combined. Slice each stick of cold butter into 8 pieces. Set food processor to medium speed and begin to add cold cubed butter and pulse until flour becomes crumbly.
- Add flour/butter mixture to a bowl and slowly begin to add buttermilk, kneading the dough until it comes together to form a shaggy mass. Continue to knead until dough is no longer crumbly.
- Toss dough onto a well-floured surface and cut into four pieces. Place each piece on top of the other and using a rolling pin, roll out into a rectangle until dough is about a ½ inch thick. Use a 3 inch cookie cutter or biscuit cutter to cut the shortcakes out of the dough. Use scraps and roll back into a rectangle shape and continue to cut shortcakes until you have about 10-11 cakes.
- Place each shortcake onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Brush each shortcake with heavy cream and sprinkle demerara sugar or coarse sugar on top (optional).
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until slightly golden brown. Allow shortcakes to cool completely once removed from the oven.
- Add cold heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract to a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium high speed until stiff peaks form, about 2-2 ½ minutes. Fold in mascarpone until smooth.
- Cut each short cake in half and spoon berries on the bottom half. Top with Mascarpone whipped cream. Add top of the shortcake on top and add additional berries as desired. Top with addition whipped cream, garnish with mint.