Chocolate Orange Brioche Babka Rolls
By: Monique Polanco of Peaches 2 Peaches
Featured Products: Premier Countertop Safe Bakeware 6-Piece Set
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup Bread Flour
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- zest of one orange
- 4 oz dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup dark cocoa powder
- juice and zest of one blood orange
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Warm milk and buttermilk in the microwave until slightly warm but not hot. Pour in a stand mixer bowl. Sprinkle yeast on top. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, salt, vanilla, zest and eggs. Attach dough hook and turn on the mixer. Add the all-purpose flour, and the bread flour, one cup at a time.
- After the flour is in, add the softened butter a tablespoon at a time. Let the dough kneed for a few minutes.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, divide dough into 4 pieces. Roll out one piece of dough into a rectangle. Trim the edges to make it more exact.
- Place dark chocolate in a microwave safe bowl with the butter. Microwave until melted. Add cocoa powder and powdered sugar and mix.
- Spread 1/4 of the chocolate filling on top of one of the pieces dough until the entire area is covered.
- Roll dough up lengthwise. Cut down the middle so that you have 2 halves, then cut both pieces in half. Twist each 2 halves together, and shape it into a circle, tucking the ends underneath. Repeat with the other 2 pieces.
- Repeat the process for the other 3 pieces of dough. Place each roll on the Calphalon Large Cookie Sheet. Let rise for an hour. Brush with an egg wash of 1 yolk and 1 teaspoon of water.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-35 minutes or until browned. Cool on wire rack.
- Add ingredients for the glaze in a pot. Cook until sugar is dissolved, then brush on the rolls.